Club Notes‎ > ‎

Club Notes 28th February 2011

posted Feb 27, 2011, 3:17 PM by Unknown user
U14 Football

We played our second match away to Tramore last Saturday, & we suffered our second defeat when we lost out on a score-line of 5-10 to 0-9. Our 3rd match is away to De La Salle next Saturday, 5th March, at 4:30 PM.


Minor Football


We played our 3rd championship match at home to Ballinacourty last Sunday, in a game we needed to win to keep our championship hopes alive. We played against a stiff breeze in the first half, but were well in contention early on with the match tied at 2 points each after 10 minutes. There was no score for either team in the next ten minutes, although we created 3 clear goal scoring chances in this period, & good goalkeeping from the Ballinacourty keeper, & lazy finishing by us, ensured that the match remained all square. It looked like we were going to pay for these misses when Ballinacourty kicked 3 points in a four minute period to go 3 clear. But a good team move allowed CJ Hamilton in to finish to the net entering first half injury time & 3 points from Gavin Nugent either side of the goal, saw us lead 1-6 to 0-7 at half time. With the breeze to our backs in the second half we comfortably took control of this game & we added 9 further second half points spread evenly throughout the half, with Gavin Nugent being the scorer in chief. With only a single point reply from Ballinacouty in the 41st minute, we ran out easy winners on a score line of 1-15 to 0-10, with their final 2 points coming in injury time.

Team: Padraig Hunt, Johnny Nugent, Josh Eade, Quann Butler, Brendan Behan, Conor Hennebry, Dean Kirwan, Michael Curry, Connor Walshe, Aidan Flynn , Gavin Nugent, William Hahessy, Kevin Dunne, Billy Power, C.J. Hamilton. Subs: Tony Curry for Aidan Flynn, Jason Curry for William Hahessy, Kevin Mulkearne for Johnny Nugent.

We are away to An Rinn in our fourth match next Sunday morning, 6th March, at 11:30 AM.



U21 Football


We finally took on Gaultier in the U21 championship Eastern ‘A’ semi-final last Friday’s at Carrickbeg, on a damp but calm night with the pitch in good condition. Both teams failed to impress to any degree in the first half with the fare on offer being very mediocre, & after Gaultier took the lead with a point in the first minute, & we equalised via Paul Drohan in the 6th minute, there was no further scores until the 27th minute when Gavin Nugent put us ahead with his first point having being switched into the full forward position. Two very good points by the Gaultier full forward, one from a sideline, in the 30th & 31st, gave them a 1 point lead at the break, 0-3 to 0-2. The Rathgormack forwards started the second half very well, & after 30 seconds Gavin Nugent had the ball in the Gaultier net after a good team move. Two further Gavin Nugent points in the 32nd & 38th minute, with a Michael Curry point sandwiched in between, put us in complete control. These two men were to dominate the second half, & despite a Gaultier point in the 44th minute, an excellent goal by Michael Curry in the 47th minute effectively finished the contest. Gavin Nugent added 3 further points & Michael Curry a point between then & the 59th minute, to give us an 11-point lead. Gaultier were awarded a penalty 4 minutes into injury time when a Rathgormack defender was deemed to handle the ball on the ground inside his own square, & this was despatched to the net before the final whistle blew with the kick out. Final score: Rathgormack 2-9, Gaultier 1-4.

Team:  Eamonn Cahill, Billy Power, Gerard Kirwan, Connor Walsh, Johnny Quinlan, Nigel Skehan, Liam Walsh (Mothel), Jamie Kirwan, Sean Cullen, Gavin Nugent (1-6), Liam Walsh(Ballinafina), Richie Lacey, Michael Curry (1-2), Paul Drohan (0-1), Steven Kirwan. Subs: Ronan Cahill for Liam Walsh (Mothel), Sean Lacey for Richie Lacey, Kevin Dunne for Liam Walsh (Ballinafina), Peter Foran for Johnny Quinlan. This was a good result for this team but all involved will know that a significant all round improvement will be require if they are to secure some silverware in the coming weeks. Eastern final will probably be played next Friday night, 4th March, but at the time of submitting the notes, there is no definite fixture. Please keep an eye on local papers & the Waterford GAA website for updates.




A lot of membership is still outstanding as we enter March. Please forward payment to our club registrar, Ger Kirwan, or to your team manager, without delay.

Membership for the coming year is as follows: Juveniles up to & including minors - €10, U21 - €30, adult players - €60, non-playing members - €30.


Juvenile Football


Our U8’s played 2 matches against Stradbally & Kilrosanty in a blitz in Ballyduff Lower astro turf pitch last Saturday morning, in what was a these players first match for the club. The following payers took part: Peter Walsh, Gerard Hahessy, Padraig Fahey, Billy Power, Scott Mackey, Anthony Power, Ben Ryan, Adam Murray, Thomas Daly, Connor Power. This was the first of a number of blitz’s taking place for our juveniles from U7 to U 11 in the coming weeks with each age group being provided with matches every few months.  Juvenile football indoor training sessions will continue for the next month on Monday nights in the community centre. U6’s from 6:15 to 7 PM, & U8’s from 7 to 7:45 PM.


U12 Football


Our U12 team have been selected to play an exhibition game at half time at the Waterford/ Tipperary Allianz Football League match at Fraher field. This game is scheduled to be played under lights on Saturday 12th March, & will be the first inter county match played under the new floodlights which were installed in the last week.


Deise Draw


We would ask our regular supporters to purchase their tickets in the near future. The first draw goes ahead on Friday, 25th March.


Club Website


A reminder that or club notes can now be accessed on our club website,