Club Notes‎ > ‎

Club Notes - 5th August 2013

posted Aug 5, 2013, 7:41 AM by Unknown user

Senior Football

Our senior’s had a great win against Brickey Rangers in the championship on Tuesday night 30th July in Fraher Field, to secure their first championship points of the season, & the club’s first championship victory since we beat Gaultier in April 2012. The first half was a cagey affair with both teams kicking two points each in the first 15 minutes. On 17 minutes, Brickeys took the lead when they easily worked the ball through our defence to finish well to the net. We were given a lifeline two minutes later when a harmless enough ball was played in towards the Brickeys goalie who made a complete mess of it, with Jason Curry following in finishing to the net off the ground to tie the game, 1-2 apiece. Brickeys pushed on with the next two points before two pointed frees from John Kirwan (Cool), who was handling a lot of ball, in the 26th & 27th minutes, left the half time score Rathgormack 1-4, Brickey Rangers 1-4. We took control of the match straight from the start of the second half, with the Curry brothers, Jason & Michael, both kicking points in the first minute. Points from play from Jason Curry, Paul Power & John Kirwan (Cool) in the 38th, 42nd, & 43rd minute gave us a five point lead, with the second half performance of these four players being the main reason for our victory. After this we became very cautious & dropped very deep drawing Brickey Rangers on to us, which resulted in them adding three points by the 52nd minute, making it a two point game. A great point by sub Daniel Drohan in the 55th minute steadied things up & as we played out the game holding possession in injury time, Michael Curry broke through on goal & finished well to the net in off the near post, to secure the win. A minute later, a poor clearance by the Brickeys came to sub Jason Gleeson, & he added another goal in the last kick of the game. Final score Rathgormack 3-10, Brickey Rangers 1-7. Whereas the score-line might have flattered us, there is no doubt that we were deserved winners & the better team on the night. This result puts us back into the final qualifying spot for the quarter finals on goal difference, with the two late goals proving vital in this regard. It all comes down to the last match against The Nire later in the month, with a win definitely seeing us qualify, but possibly a draw or a low scoring defeat may be enough depending on other results in the last round of matches.

Team: Brendan Crotty, Billy Power, Mickey Crotty, Ciaran Fogarty, John Kirwan (Bally), Tony Power, Cathal Crowch, Michael Curry (1-2), Jamie Kirwan, Ronan Crotty (0-1), Paudie Larkin, John Kirwan (Cool)(0-3), Steven Kirwan, Paul Power (0-1), Jason Curry (1-2). Subs: Conor Walsh for John Kirwan (Bally), Daniel Drohan (0-1) for Tony Power, Jason Gleeson (1-0) for Ronan Crotty, Johnny Quinlan for Steven Kirwan.

Intermediate Football

Our intermediate team suffered another heavy championship defeat against Dunhill last Saturday 3rd August in Fenor. We played with the breeze in the first half but never threatened the Dunhill goal despite having a lot of possession, & as a result we were a point down at the break, 0-4 to 0-3. Dunhill had the first two points of the second half to increase their lead but good points from Steven Power & Tony Bolger kept us in touch. The first Dunhill goal came when their full forward was fouled as he bore down on goal, which resulted in a penalty that was well converted. Shortly after that we had a good goal chance ourselves that the keeper easily saved, & when Dunhill had their second goal a few minutes later, they took control of the match. Disappointingly we threw in the towel after that & Dunhill added another goal & several uncontested points to run out comfortable winners on a score-line of Rathgormack 0-6, Dunhill 3-11.

Team: Padraig Hunt, Anthony Power, Vinny Murray, Muiris Quinlan, John Crotty, Dean Kirwan, Brendan Behan, Brian Fogarty, Steven Power, Donal Larkin, Mervyn Cummins, Liam Walsh (Bally), Tony Curry, Mikey Halpin, Kenny Hassett. Subs: Tony Bolger for Brian Fogarty, Shane Gough for Tony Curry, Liam Walsh (Mothel) for Liam Walsh (Bally).

We have finished bottom of our group with no points from 5 games & as a result we will play a relegation play-off against the bottom team in the other group, Gaultier, who also came up from junior this year, before the end of August. 

Johnny Roche Cup U16 Football Tournament


The Nire 4-17 St. Mary’s 1-4.

Rathgormack 2-13 Tramore 6-9.

Rathgormack 9-14 St. Marys 3-3.

The Nire  2-5 Tramore 3-10.


Friday 9th August, Tramore V’s St. Mary’s, 7 P.M. in Kill.

Saturday 10th August, Rathgormack V’s The Nire, 12 noon in Rathgormack. 

U12 Football

 Our U12 squad had a great day out at the recent Munster U12 football activity day at Pairc Ui Rinn, Cork recently. The squad travelled by bus & had three matches against Gaultier from Waterford & Oliver Plunkets & St. Patrick’s from Limerick following by a talk from Cork senior footballer, Paul Kerrigan. The club would like to thank all the parents who travelled to help out on the day.

Cul Camp

This years football summer camp gets underway in Rathgormack next Monday 12th August from 10-2:30 each day for the week. Registration from 10 AM Monday morning & its open to all boys & girls from aged 6 to 13. A great week of fun activities guaranteed.