Club Notes‎ > ‎

Club Notes - 17th June 2012

posted Jun 16, 2013, 2:25 PM by Unknown user   [ updated Jun 16, 2013, 2:31 PM ]

Senior Football

We had our third defeat in this year’s senior football championship last Saturday night in Fraher Field when we lost out to An Rinn follow a competitive hours football. As this was our third defeat from three games in this year’s competition, we now have to defeat Brickey Rangers in our next match & The Nire in our last game & hope other results go our way in order make the quarter-finals.

This was a match we really could have won, as there was very little between the teams in most positions, with An Rinn’s greater treat in front of goal proving the difference in the end. We had seven changes from the team that started our last championship match against Ballinameela back in April & we did not start brightly as An Rinn had four points on the board in the first six minutes before we even got out of our own half. However for the following ten minutes we really upped our game & with Michael Curry, Paul Power & Paudie Larkin running at the opposition defence, we scored five points in a six minute spell, 3 frees from John Kirwan (Cool) & two from play from Tony Power, to take the lead by the 14th minute. An Rinn levelled from a free in the 18th minute & for the next 10 minutes we made some terrible mistakes in defence conceding 5 more points in this period, 3 from frees, to go in at the break ten points to five down. An Rinn had the first score of the 2nd half with a pointed free in the first minute to go six clear, but after we got one back with a pointed free from John Kirwan (Cool) in the 39th minute, we had the better of the remainder of the game. Unfortunately we never threatened to score a goal while An Rinn created at least four good goal scoring chances throughout the hour, but some good saves from Brendan Crotty in our goal & some poor finishing meant the match finished without a green flag being raised. Points from Michael & Jason Curry, Paudie Whelan (free) & Jason Gleeson between the 44th & 56th minutes brought it back to a 3 point game. We had the ball in the net in the last minute following a delivery into the square from a Paudie Whelan free, but it was rule out for a square ball, with the 3 point difference remaining at the end. Final score Rathgormack 0-10, An Rinn 0-13.

Team: Brendan Crotty, John Kirwan (Bally), Mickey Crotty, Conor Walsh, Billy Power, Paul Power, Cathal Crowch, Michael Curry (0-1), Nigel Skehan, Paul Drohan, John Kirwan (Cool)(0-4), Steven Kirwan, Paudie Larkin, Tony Power (0-2), Jason Curry (0-1). Subs: Paudie Whelan (0-1) for Steven Kirwan, Ciaran Fogarty for Nigel Skehan, Jamie Kirwan for Paul Power, Jason Gleeson (0-1) for John Kirwan (Bally).

Intermediate Football

Our intermediate team played their second championship tie against Tramore last Sunday in Walsh Park. Fielding a very weakened team with a number of players lost to the senior team & with a few injuries, we only fielded seven of the team that played against Bunmahon in our opening round. The match was played in windy wet conditions throughout & with the aid of the elements in the first half we held our own taking the lead by 0-2 to 0-1 after about 10 minutes. However shortly after, Tramore had a goal to put them two up & they were to remain ahead for the rest of the match. Both sides added a few more points before the break to leave Tramore ahead 1-5 to 0-4 at the break. Not surprisingly in the second half we found it hard to contain Tramore & they racked up a few early second half points to put the result beyond doubt with about 20 minutes left to play. A late Brian Fogarty point was our only reward for our endeavours in the second half as we lost out on a score-line of Rathgormack 0-5, Tramore 2-12. Lets hope we can get our best available intermediate team on the pitch for our next match against Kilmac in 3 weeks time.

Team: Eamonn Cahill, John Crotty, Liam Walsh (Mothel), Muiris Quinlan, Dean Kirwan, Daniel Drohan, Robbie Flynn (0-1), Brian Fogarty (0-1), Steven Power, Donal Larkin (0-2), Mervyn Cummins, Mikey Halpin (0-1), Kenny Hassett, Vinny Murray, Tony Curry. Subs: Aidan Flynn for Vinny Murray, Shane Gough for Tony Curry.